With apprehension we played our first game of golf the beginning of May with COVID 19 protocols in place. We were pleasantly surprised and so enjoyed being outside and playing the game we all love. Wow are the golf courses busy, I think everyone was tired of being cooped up. It was so nice to get outside on those fairways and greens, what a privilege. A big thank you to the golf courses that still support Golfaround. We got some league play started the last week in May and in true fashion that beautiful blue sky turned ugly in the afternoon to welcome the start of the Golfaround season. The storm blew through quickly leaving behind a beautiful evening to golf. Sometimes you just have to wait and see, which the majority of us do. Di and I played at Serenity Golf Club with Jody and Heather. They called themselves beginners, I think not. They played so very well, hammering that ball off the tee and down the fairway….ok so a couple went astray…but that is golf. They both had some amazing drives and I know Jody got a par on a par 5. Jody new to Golfaround this year and albeit nervous soon felt comfortable. It was nice to see Heather, a returning member sharing her knowledge and experience. We did the 19th hole at The Dog and Duck, they were so happy to have us back. Our 1st time out since everything closed, what a treat to be out again with fellow golfers social distancing of course. Here is what some of the others said about their first rounds of the season.
- Thank you for organizing our golf during this crazy Covid 19 season! Last night at Valley Ridge was a great start to the season…..weather cleared up & we had a sunny night! Pat Squibb
- Had a wonderful day at Heatherglen. We even had lunch and a beer . As one of the girls said it felt like “normal” The weather helped too Mary Cook
- It was awesome and we stayed for lunch after. Almost felt normal!! Cheers Pat Wismer
- We did have a lovely evening last night at the Winston … some blustery wind at the beginning but it settled down and we got all 9 holes in – bonus was no rain! Thanks so much for doing all this work to allow us to enjoy some “outdoor” time! Melanie Shelley
- We had a great game last night and you are so right that unless you actually go to the course at the time its impossible to know whether you will play or not. Nights like last night feel extra lucky! Brenda
- Last night was enjoyable, weather was good once we got there, a bit cool on different holes. but fun. Charlotte Vermeulen
- Just wanted to tell you that we had a lovely round at McKenzie Meadows last night. So awesome to be out there golfing again! Thank you for setting this up!!!
- When I arrived at 5:10pm it was black sky and pouring rain but it did look like the sky was going to break up. The attendant stopped me at the entrance to the parking lot and took my name and tee time. He said to wait at my car until I heard the announcement to head out. So as is the norm in Calgary, by 5:30 the rain had stopped and the sky was looking good. It was windy and cool but with the appropriate clothing, totally golfable. Cindy
- My tee time at 6pm was in the sunshine and the four of us had a great time, albeit none of us had our best golf game! Beth